Video Marketing & Your Business
Video marketing requires a working knowledge of video placement, viewer preferences and high-quality content that will engage with the audience. The video creator must also gain the attention of viewers quickly and direct the audience to other websites. Some common characteristics of successful video marketing includes attracting an audience, promoting a brand, connecting with the reader and directing the audience to other websites. Analytics can be used to measure and improve metric results such as creatives, click throughs and conversions. Opportunities for direct engagement and a greater overall web presence will follow on from good quality video marketing.
Type of videos will determine video marketing strategy
All website owners want a video to be in the right place at the right time for the correct audience. It is common to use a combination of website, email, microcontent platform (e.g. Instagram and Snapchat) YouTube and social media videos. Videos may be created for sales, branding and promotions generated through creative ads campaigns (e.g. skippable or non-skippable YouTube ads). Videos may also be created for information or to solve the problems of a target audience. For example, a recorded webinar can assist a reader with SEO marketing. The webinar also has many advantages for the creator such as click throughs, demonstrating social proof and gaining the trust of a niche audience.
Attracting viewers is at the core of any video marketing strategy and is one of the most challenging aspects of creating marketable videos. Recent studies have shown that the attention span of internet users is decreasing by the year. Videos such as branded content must engage with the audience in the first 3 to 5 seconds of the video. Some ways to engage with the audience in this small window of opportunity are suggested below;
- Women, children and celebrities usually capture the attention of an audience more frequently than men.
- An unexpected opening, story with suspense or humorous opening attracts good results
- Metadata will increase the likelihood that people will be able to find a video that they have watched. Filling in the title, description, tags and annotations of a video with who, what, why, when and where helps the search engine to categorize the video for search engine results. The title is the most important pieces of metadata and should inform the audience of what to expect but also build suspense or draw the reader.
- Thumbnails are also an excellent way to attract viewers. They show a small preview when the user scrolls over a video. Clear, focused and high-resolution thumbnails with no text show the best results. Text used in thumbnails reminds the viewer of branding and should be avoided.
- YouTube playlists allows the viewer more opportunities to see a related video before the viewer clicks off. It allows more opportunities for engagement, click throughs and other metrics.
Finding the right balance between brand promotion and engaging content is a skill requiring careful consideration of user preferences, analytics and split testing. Research has shown the earlier that branding is shown, the less people are willing to engage in a video. However, there are ways to avoid branding saturation.
- Show the product rather than the brand so that viewers do not recognize the branding. This allows for a longer period of engagement and better opportunities to promote the brand.
- Make a big impact early expecting people to click off once they have viewed the brand.
- Create a story that builds suspense and displays the brand at the end of the video.
- Use humor to engage with the audience and then display the brand.
- Try to present branding in the most natural and fun way possible.
See where people drop off their engagement by using analytics on YouTube. The creator can then edit the video or story line so that the branding is presented more attractively.
Connecting with an audience requires a careful consideration of proven and new methods. Here are some suggestions;
- Research has shown that humor is one of the easiest ways to connect with an audience.
- Characters and stories that people can empathize with but do not appear contrived.
- Values of a company that are believable and authentic but also appeal to the target audience.
- Using music and jingles to make the audience remember a product through song.
- Synchronizing the music and movements of a video to maximize the excitement and connection to a brand.
Every viewer should have an idea where to go after they have viewed a video e.g. clicking through to a website.
- Use a call to action overlay to provoke a response and give a direct order such as ‘be sure to click subscribe above the video’.
- Call to action overlay ads can also be displayed in YouTube videos to direct customer to another website.
- End screens are a part of the video that show during the last 5-20 seconds of a video. Direct viewers with powerful end screens on to direct viewers to other videos, playlists, channels on YouTube and subscriptions to a channel.
Video marketing receives very high click through rates compared to other forms of media because it is a simple form of communication, with unlimited ways of entertaining a target audience. However, audiences have short attention spans and avoid branded and promotional content as much as possible. The creative needs to be outstanding in a short amount of time to increase the length of engagement and increase opportunities for click throughs and conversions. Attracting an audience requires attention to SEO and the creative aspects of the video to maximize Google search results and engage with an audience. It is possible to avoid branding saturation with some creativity, good testing and analytics. An emotional connection with an audience presented in a natural way will also result in more opportunities to engage and direct an audience to other websites. Better video marketing can build a web presence through a careful combination of fun and informative information and branded content.
Have I missed anything? How are you using Video Marketing? Please leave your thoughts in the comments below.
Are you looking for tips on how use video in your marketing strategy?